Wednesday 20 February 2013

A Weekend Away

It's Tuesday.  The weather is absolutely wonderful.  The sun is shining.  There is a slight cooling breeze.  It's perfect.  We were away for the weekend at a golf croquet tournament in Wanganui.  The weather excelled itself which is more than I can say for my play. There were flashes of my old self with some wonderful wins and there were some flashes of utter mediocrity too.  However my partner and I did manage to come runners up in the handicap doubles which was a reasonable result.  I'd never played with Clair before.  In fact I'd never met her before.  We did, however, have something in common.  We both drive Mazda MX5s.  Hers is called Rossee.  Unlike mine, Rossee races in the New Zealand Targa Rally.


I hadn't played at Wanganui for a couple of years.  It's a lovely club with a lot of lawns and a wonderful location up on a hill overlooking the (not-so-beautiful-from-this-angle) city. 


The Club's notice board amused me:


PS It's Wednesday now.  I started this on Tuesday but it was that sort of a day!

17 comments:

  1. Your weekend away sounds marvelous with picture perfect weather...glad you had a great time.
    To be honest, I think all women name their vehicles...maternal instinct and all that.
    I loved the notice board...When you want to slap someone DO IT and yell mosquito!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my cars have had names. Come to think of it most of my computers have had names. The last time I was slapped by a girl was outside church on a Sunday evening when I was 16 (she didn't like a comment I made about marmalade and jam!) and I don't recall her yelling mosquito. Mind you we didn't have any in Liverpool!

      Delete
    2. I've never named any of my computers, nor have ever thought of doing so, but that is an interesting concept.
      I think I may have only slapped someone once in my entire life, and I can't even remember what that was about.
      GB, I am in awe of your memory, considering that you can recall that marmalade and jam played a part in your being slapped years ago.

      Delete
  2. Great notice board, good folks with a good sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cat, they are good folks (on the whole!).

      Delete
  3. Good to see you back. A great notice board.
    The Mazda looks good in red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It aklso looks better with her driving it Adrian!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great time altogether! I wish I could say what you said about the weather. Still winter here, with only a few signs to tell us we're getting closer to spring every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good time Meike. The weather is amazing and no rain is forecast until the end of February. It's beginning to be a serious problem in places.

      Delete
  5. Good to see you back. I'd better try and control my temper as slapping someone and yelling "mosquito" as an excuse would not be very convincing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are we jealous? Hell, no. After all, we've got mud mud mud. But I'm glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Frances, our TV News last night said that England has had one of the wettest summers on record (leastways I think that's what it said). It seems like only a couple of years ago that England was looking at perpetual water shortages.

      Delete
  7. So you're not tempted to take up rallying as well as croquet then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a chance Mark. It's not a cheap sport.

      Delete
  8. <love the notice board. We too have sunshine but like Frances mud, mud mud!

    ReplyDelete