Friday 27 January 2012

Who Needs Gadgets?

I recently be-moaned the loss of my food processor because of the failure of a crucial but tiny and cheap component.  So when I had to make a base for a cheesecake for a lunch to which I have been invited on Sunday I was rather flummoxed.  I use finely chopped digestive biscuits and ginger nuts in the base.  The old way would have been to crush them in a bag with a rolling pin but I don't have a rolling pin and Wendy has no idea where hers is after the re-organisation and new kitchen at The House.  I couldn't find a suitable hitting implement until I came upon my knife steel.  Wow.  I'll never bother using a food processor again!  Quick, effective and no washing up afterwards.  Perhaps I should review my use of gadgets in other areas too.


6 comments:

  1. Good idea! I rarely use my hand mixer when I make a dough, I just need to feel the dough with my hands to know when it has the right consistence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a rolling pin...dead easy and no washing up.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inventive. I've seen bottles used in the same way btw (instead of rolling pin). (Just a tip if you should ever happen to mislay the knife steel...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought of a bottle. Should have done. I'm certainly not short of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the flat of a clever to crush mine in the bag.
    If you are going to use a bottle adding fluid to it will add weight and make that easier.

    ReplyDelete