Wednesday 28 December 2011

Broadband!

Until now I have used an NZ Telecom T Stick over the cellphone network for my broadband.  For that I get 4Gb/month allowance for $81.  As I have to pay for 12 months even though I only use 6 that really means that I pay $162 a month for my broadband.  The 4GB limit means that I can't use YouTube or the full benefits of Skype and even updating my computer and iTunes etc can take me uncomfortably close to my limit.  I can, however, use my laptop when I travel which is useful.

Now an enterprising self-confessed computer geek/nerd has set up rural microwave broadband in our area and it's absolutely fantastic.  The basic allowance of 6Gb is less than $50/month and for the $80 I used to pay I could get 20Gb.  Not only that I also have WiFi so I can use my UK smartphone here too.  So I am well pleased. 

The receiving dish on the fence
The hill with the microwave transmitter in just to the left of the fence line
There it is!  That tiny feint post on top of the hill just under the wires under the branch of the nearer tree. Amazing.

7 comments:

  1. Well, it's nice when people find solutions at a savings! I love the angle in your second shot, there, Graham - very nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo! Good for you!
    Such a problem dealing with the technical end of all this.
    We ended up with a Mifi with Verizon on the road, and, after trying so hard not to go over our limit, went to the 10GB a month.
    So happy that you have everything you want for less $$$!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news - you have missed out on so much and now you won't. Well done to the nerd geek person for setting it up too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it's all working (hopefully comment posting will work for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing how something so small can make such a huge difference? Good for you, GB.

    ReplyDelete