Tuesday 9 November 2010

An Afternoon Lying on the Grass

This afternoon a number of us Croqueteers spent the afternoon resetting the hoops on the croquet lawns.  This involves lots of measuring and then drilling new holes for the hoops in their new positions.  Then the old holes have to be reamed out and turf plugs inserted.  There are 36 hoops so that's a minimum of 72 holes with another 7 for the pegs and some to repair 'rabbit runs' (the indentations in the lawn in a hoop caused by balls continually passing through the hoops).  All in all it's a lot of work.  One of my jobs for the afternoon was ensuring that the hoops were aligned correctly and hammered in vertically.  This involved lying on my stomach for several hours.  Which, I have to say, was a lot more tiring for the neck than I might have imagined had I not done it before.  In fact, despite the apparent easiness of the task I ended up doing it because no-one else wanted too.  At the end of a couple of hours I had had enough of 'doing nothing' too:



6 comments:

  1. Okay, so now I know (if I ever doubted). I could not be a serious croquet-player. That is one position (actually, two positions) I could not hold for even five minutes any more. Not to mention that if I somehow managed to get down there, I'd have serious trouble getting up again. Not to mention that I'm also allergic to grass... Not to... Hmm. - But you make a very colourful lawn ornament! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's showing them how!

    Belated "great wonderfuls" to have you back here on the same island as me. Any cricket wicket or lawn bowls gardeners lurking???

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's me thinking it's bowls with a hammer. We have gnomes for your job here. Restricted to certain areas of coastal suburbia.....Thank god! As you know I have a 'man' to do that sort of thing. I call him AlTa Ego.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the hardships for the love of the game! How much we take for granted about what goes in to making things like a croquet field!
    I did crack up at the term croqueteers. By the end of the day, it could have been croquetears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh yes, now I see why you were tired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welllllll, it's a rough job...but someone's got to do it.
    ;^0 ;^) ;^-

    ReplyDelete