Wednesday 24 February 2010

Austin A40 Countryman

I was driving in the centre of Whangarei when an Austin A40 Countryman drew up beside me.   Dad had one of these and the design was, in my view, superb. Apart from the aesthetics of the clean lines designed by Pininfarina the car was very much more practical than anything of it's size in that ear that I can think of.  Mind you I doubt that any of the A40s of that era (The A40 Mk1 and 2 were produced between 1958 and 1968) were originally produced in yellow!

 
 
It's not going down hill it's just that I was holding my camera at the traffic lights and got it wrong.  The slope was too great to correct with Picassa!

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm reading a Top Gear blog! What a cool car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I borrowed that car a lot during my early driving years and agree it was a great design - both to look at and to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun! I really like it! (Even if the steering wheel is on the "wrong" side!!!) ;^) ;^) ;^) (I would still like to drive it.) I remember when I was in England, one of the families that we were staying with took us into town. The father offered for me to drive. I was a chicken and turned him down. Oh, how I wish I had not!!! (I was 18.) Hindsight.
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete